Updated: Jun 29, 2018
We are a month out from kicking off the marching band season. I hope everyone has enjoyed their break thus far and continues to enjoy it until the band camp season. There are a few changes coming to band camp this year, first being the dates. Our new member, percussion, and guard camp originally scheduled for July 9-13 has been changed to just July 12 and 13 from 8:30am to 5:00pm. The other two weeks of band camp for all members will still be from July 16-20, 8:30am-5:00pm and July 23-27, 8:30am-9:00pm but we will end the July 27 rehearsal at 5:00pm. There are some additional changes that will be coming out shortly but in the meantime, continue to review these helpful hints to prepare for camp:
HOW TO PREPARE
· Stay active and spend time outside during the month of June. Get your body acclimated to doing physical activity in the heat.
· Cut out sugary drinks and start drinking water instead. Hydrating your body has to happen in advance – drinking a Gatorade before a rehearsal will not give your body time to get rid of all the junk you had previously put in it! Drinking water before bed can help your body repair itself so that you can perform better the next day.
· Eat breakfast every day. At lunch and dinner, stop eating when you are no longer hungry. Do not treat mealtime as a chance to see how much food you can eat before becoming uncomfortable.
· It is crucial that every member continue to improve his or her craft individually during the month of June. That means playing your instrument and spinning your flag. Playing an instrument is not like riding a bike! It is more like being an athlete and you have to keep your chops in shape. If you don’t use it, you lose it!
· IMPORTANT: Spend time with your family.
· Water bottle/jug with name (MANDATORY!)
· Lunch with plenty of snacks
· Light colored clothes
· Low-top tennis shoes (no sandals, high tops or boots)
· 3-ring binder with plastic sheets to hold music